Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Not every day, but

Not Friday either. lol It was another weekend of not a lot of healthy stuff. We really need to find a way to break this cycle! I know we will soon because Ryan is going to be starting very low-carb here soon to get ready for PRT.

Otherwise, it's been a fairly healthy week. Last night I made black bean soup. It was VERY good. I used dry black beans (no cans!). All it was was black beans, carrots, onion, garlic and water. Oh some veggie chicken flavor bouillon and other seasonings. I let it cook for about 3 hours, then pureed it in the food processor. That thickened it up. Almost too much, but man, it was good! I also added some ham in at the end. I made a quick cycle loaf of bread to go with it. This was my first time making all white bread. It was really good. I used the quick cycle white bread recipe from Hillbilly Housewife.

Tonight is going to be chicken. Curry, honey or BBQ. Not sure which yet. :) I will probably serve it with brussel sprouts. I have always loved brussel sprouts and they way I prepare them now is the best. Cut the brussel sprouts in half, toss them with olive oil, course sea salt and maybe some oregano (or whatever seasoning you like). Bake in the oven and YUMMY. Ryan loves these too. I got that recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance.

I make breakfast potatoes the same was as brussel sprouts. Except I make them smaller than half! They are soooooooooooo good. E will eat these up and ask for more each time. I've been using red potatoes b/c that's what I have, but sweet potatoes are also very good and better for you.

This morning I used up the rest of the loaf of bread and made French Toast. It was my first time ever making it and it was very good. I used a recipe from About.com. I had to reconstitute a cup of dry milk. It was kind of weird, but worked fine. E loved, loved this! He ate up what I gave him and asked for more. I wasn't sure if he was going to like it, but he did.

I still have not made the vegan goldfish crackers or brownies. I am totally slacking here. I am almost out of oatmeal bars, so I'm going to have to break down and do the crackers already. E likes to have snacks!

So, I've been doing some research since Ryan will be starting low-carb soon. He knows that I do not agree with the Atkin's approach of such restricted carbs. But he wants my support and I will give it to him. I started looking for cookbooks, so I can make dinners we all can share. While researching cookbooks, I've discovered some interesting stuff about controlled-carbs diets. It was interesting enough for me to get a couple of books to learn more. So, we'll see. I wouldn't mind cutting back on certain carbs.

I've been doing good on up keeping with cleaning. Thursday is my vacuuming day. I think it's about time to clean the bathrooms again too. Everything else has just been daily upkeep. Laundry, dishes, picking up, etc.

Uhoh! E just requested some granola and that is it for my oatmeal bars. Guess I'll have to do some kind of baking today. lol :)

No comments: